All Hearts are dead except those with knowledge... All those with knowledge are asleep except those who perform good actions... All those who perform good actions are deceived except those with sincerity... And all those with sincerity are in a constant state of anxiety... [Imam Shafi'i]

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Emotions...

Assalamualaikum,

I've had this question with me 4 a while now, so i will ask:

Is it bad to be emotional? What does Islam say about it (using Quran and Sunnah).

I've had friends, sisters in Islam comment on this. They say i'm too emotional and thats not good. Some say that its good because it doesnt make ur heart hard. Ami bujtesi na. Coz this is a big part of my personality, I just wanna fix it up.
I no that being emotional 2 an extent where u sacrifice islamic ideals is bad and i'm aware of that. But being hyper sensitive is a bad thing, i no that. I've learned thru many ecnounters with flynn :P, lol. Plus when it comes 2 giving dawah, u need 2 b strong in character and not break down (at least in front of others, lol). Well, i dont no, what do u guys think. Amake ektu advise koro please.
Wassalam,
-iishii-

6 Comments:

Blogger Jibonjatri said...

salam!
I don't know you in person. When you say emotional, to which degree are we talking about? Give us some concrete examples. Then we will see what kind of "counselling session" we can put you in! :P

5:34 pm

 
Blogger L said...

i dont think the 'emotion' that ur talking about is bad, its rather good because as u sed it keeps the heart soft towards allah. i don think it has any bad sides...

12:57 am

 
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

I'd like to comment but I'm worried in case you get offended, given our recent conversation...

11:22 pm

 
Blogger Aaisha said...

Jazakallah every1 for your honest comments. And I wasnt offended at all, coz I agree with what ur saying Ash. M apu, please DO comment. I really wanna hear what u hafta say. And be as blunt as u want as long as ur intentions are sincere insha Allah. I have no probs with that :D

7:52 am

 
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:41 pm

 
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

this is what I wanted to say...
Emotion per se isn't a bad or good thing...its how we are...I don't know any verse or hadith saying we can't have or express emotions. But there are certain guidelines e.g. Prophet (s) commanded not to howl and grieve loudly at the death of a beloved. As for being so emotional as to sacrifice Islamic ideals...that depends on what you mean. But we know of plenty of companions whose parents threatened them or denied them paternal effections on their reversion to Islam but they willingly sacrificed all that!

2:10 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home